Get better study experience with the jambite for andriod app! jambite app download
  • Literary terms: Difference between simile and metaphor

Literature-in-English

Admin Admin
    30-01-2016 20:44:00 +0000

Do you know the these very commonly asked literary terms?

To demonstrate your understanding do the following: 1) Define and provide an example of a Simile 2) Define and provide an example of Metaphor 3) Explain the difference between the two terms

0 4 0

• Adebayo Tosin

Simile use d words like and as but metaphor don't use it to compare it's self

0 13-02-2016 10:06:00 +0000

• Zeetha Dav

simile is the comparison of two things with the use is "as" and "like"

0 13-02-2016 13:36:00 +0000

• Yeahmee Yeahmee

simile is a direct comparism btw two things with d use of as and like. It's direct because it points out d exact feature being compared i.e tolu is as fierce as a lion... LION as we know it has more than one notable feature or xteristic... brave, fast, smart/sharp, fierce, amongst others, so, simile directs its comparism to d feature needed and that's why it is regarded as a direct comparism unlike METAPHOR which is 'less' direct and is a comparism btw two things that share one or more common features...here, as and like is absent... instead, d aux verb 'is' is used... e.g tolu is a lion... as earlier said and listed, A LION has many features, so, in d above example, only the speaker and a listener who knows tolu very well will know d exact feature(s) that both tolu and a LION possess leaving those who don't know tolu well enough confused as to d feature(s) being referred to... is it that tolu is fierce, fast, brave, smart or sharp... therefore rendering metaphor less direct than simile, which enlightens d listeners, that knows tolu and that doesn't as to d particular feature tolu shares with a LION... to fellow YORUBAS... simile is called Afiwe Taara while metaphor is Afiwe Eleloo... i believe that their meanings have justified my explanations... Taara means direct; straight to the point while Eleloo means crooked; not straight; of many path ways... HOPE THIS HELPS. I WILL BE HAPPY TO GET A FEEDBACK AND ALSO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. ~yeahmee

0 19-02-2016 15:39:00 +0000

• Ebeku Confidence

I agree

0 04-01-2023 19:16:00 +0000